“I’ve never heard a Kinks song that I didn’t like,” David Bowie wrote in the liner notes for the recent release of the career-spanning compilation, Essential Kinks. “Of course, from their noisy and brash beginnings, the Kinks have come to stand for some of the most enduring and heart-clutching pop of all time. They are in the gut of every British song-writer who followed them and are indisputably a cornerstone of everything pop and rock. I love ‘em. The world loves ‘em.”
This week it’s another special edition of Power Pop Portal, hosted by Gargs, featuring music from The Kinks 1971 Rock-Folk-Americana album, Muswell Hillbillies. Celebrate when Ray and Dave Davies accurately predicted the sound of 2014 AAA/Non-Commercial Radio, “long before Mumford had any sons.” (hat-tip to Luke Crampton).
We’ve also got your chance to win an exclusive radio promo version of Muswell Hillbillies that includes a bonus disc of 17 Kinks Katalog Klassiks from 1972 to 1984, courtesy of Legacy Recordings, a division of Sony Music Entertainment!
NEW YORK, Sept. 10, 2014 /PRNewswire/ — Legacy Recordings, the catalog division of Sony Music Entertainment, has exclusively licensed the North American catalog rights to recordings made by The Kinks for RCA Records and Arista in the years from 1971 to 1985.
On November 11th, Legacy released an expanded CD/DVD deluxe edition of Muswell Hillbillies, The Kinks’ 1971 masterpiece of working class social observation, a musical statement remarkably relevant in today’s world. Newly remastered from the original analog tapes, Muswell Hillbillies includes the original album in its entirety as well as nine bonus tracks (seven of them previously unavailable in North America), and a DVD of rare 1972 television appearances (never released in North America).
A 2LP 12″ vinyl edition of Muswell Hillbillies, including the original album and a selection of bonus material from the expanded Legacy Edition, will be available later this year.
Enter to win one of five copies of an exclusive radio promo version of Muswell Hillbillies that includes a bonus disc of 17 Kinks Katalog Klassiks from 1972 to 1984, courtesy of Legacy Recordings, a division of Sony Music Entertainment!
Click HERE to fill out the short entry form and we’ll randomly select five winners! All winners must be at least 18 years of age and must be able to pick up the CD in person from the Rock104.com offices located in Gainesville, Florida at the University of Florida College of Journalism and Communications, 1200 Weimer Hall. We are sorry, but prizes cannot be mailed. Deadline for entries is Friday, November 21st at 11:59 PM EST.
THE KINKS, MUSWELL HILLBILLIES, LEGACY EDITION (CD/DVD)
Release Date: November 10, 2014
DISC ONE (CD):
1. 20th Century Man
2. Acute Schizophrenia Paranoia Blues
4. Skin And Bone
6. Complicated Life
7. Here Come The People In Grey
8. Have A Cuppa Tea
9. Holloway Jail
10. Oklahoma U.S.A.
11. Uncle Son
12. Muswell Hillbilly
DISC TWO (CD):
1. Celluloid Heroes (Everybody’s in Show-Biz -1972)
2. Where Are They Now? (Preservation Act 1 -1973)
3. Everybody’s a Star (Starmaker) (Soap Opera -1975)
4. I’m In Disgrace (Schoolboys In Disgrace -1975)
5. Sleepwalker (Sleepwalker -1977)
6. Father Christmas (single -1977)
7. Misfits (Misfits – 1978)
8. Catch Me Now I’m Falling (Low Budget – 1979)
9. Low Budget (Low Budget – 1979)
10. (Wish I Could Fly Like) Superman (Low Budget – 1979)
11. Lola (Live) (One For The Road – 1980)
12. You Really Got Me (Live) (One For The Road – 1980)
13. Destroyer (Give The People What They Want – 1981)
14. Better Things (Give The People What They Want – 1981)
15. Come Dancing (State Of Confusion -1983)
16. Living On A Thin Line (Word Of Mouth – 1984)
17. Do It Again (Word Of Mouth – 1984)